Online and print encyclopedias on every conceivable topic are available at Murphy Library. Most of these are considered scholarly encyclopedias, and many contain signed and peer-reviewed entries, making them suitable for scholarly research.
Take a look at some of the representative titles below to see the great variety in topics that these encyclopedias cover.
- Race and racism in the United States : an encyclopedia of the American mosaic. 2014. Available online.
- The A-Z of death and dying : social, medical, and cultural aspects. 2014. Available in print in the 2nd Floor Stacks: HQ1073 .A22.
- Encyclopedia of business and finance. 2014. Available online.
- Encyclopedia of exercise anatomy. 2014. Available in print in the reference area: RA781 .L543
- Encyclopedia of environmental change. 2014. Available online.
- Consumer survival : an encyclopedia of consumer rights, safety, and protection. 2014. Available in print in the reference area: KF1607.5 .C66
- World clothing and fashion : an encyclopedia of history, culture, and social influence. 2014. Available in print in the reference area: GT507 .S6
- The new encyclopedia of Islam. 2013. Available in print in the reference area: BP40 .G42
- Encyclopedia of pain. 2013. Available online.
- Encyclopedia of crisis management. 2013. Available online.
- Encyclopedia of forensic sciences. 2012. Available online.
- Encyclopedia of caves. 2012. Available online.
- Encyclopedia of cancer. 2012. Available online.
Find these encyclopedias by selecting “UW-La Crosse Books & Media” from the “Books, Articles, & More” search box on the library home page and then entering the word “encyclopedias.” When the list of search results appears, limit to the genre “Encyclopedias” near the bottom of the left-side options. This link should run the search with those parameters already in place: Search for Encyclopedias
Another way to find encyclopedias is to use the Reference Universe database, which provides access to Murphy Library’s collection of online and print reference works and includes many subject encyclopedias. Reference Universe can be found in the list of library databases by title, found on the library home page.