Assistant Professor – First-Year Success Librarian
Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is seeking a dynamic, student-centered librarian to engage UWL first-year students in effective and innovative library instruction and programming activities. This is a 9-month, tenure track faculty position in an environment that supports and encourages librarianship, research, and service.
- Promote the success of first-year students through the delivery of innovative programming and information literacy instruction
- Deliver a substantial number of information literacy instruction sessions to undergraduates in a variety of disciplines
- Participate in assessment of first-year library instruction to ensure that it cultivates students’ critical thinking and information literacy skills
- Serve as an instructional liaison to one or more UWL academic departments
- Manage the library’s presence at new student orientation and other first-year student events
- Develop relationships and collaborate with campus first-year stakeholders
- Collaborate with the head of instruction, outreach, and engagement librarians on activities pertaining to first-year student success
- Participate in collegial governance, and campus and professional activities
Murphy Library supports and values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek a colleague who shares the department’s commitment to diversity and who will be a dedicated teacher, active scholar, and effective mentor for students with diverse backgrounds, preparation, and career goals.
Murphy Library is integral to student success at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Located in the heart of campus, the library provides a dynamic and diverse learning environment centered on the core principles of service, stewardship, information literacy and equity of access. Librarians have faculty status and are members of the library department, which is a peer-reviewed academic department. Murphy Library is administered by the library director who functions as an academic dean.
- ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS or equivalent international degree in library or information science
- Demonstrated face-to-face teaching experience
- Demonstrated experience planning and coordinating library programming or events
- Professional experience working in an academic library environment
- Demonstrated experience working with first-year students or other distinct student populations
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively collaborate with faculty/staff, colleagues, and students
- Experience working in a peer governed academic department
- Evidence of professional growth potential through publication, professional activities, or other contributions to the field
Degrees from international institutions will be accepted under the following conditions:
- The degree has been recognized by the ALA as equivalent, or;
- The degree has been evaluated at the candidate’s expense by a U.S. credentialing service recommended by the ALA and received by the Search & Screen chair by January 13, 2017.
Salary and Rank: Competitive salary for a full-time, 9-month tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Partial summer contracts may also be available.
Anticipated Starting Date: August 28, 2017.
First consideration will be given to applications received by Friday, January 13, 2017.
Note: Electronic submission of application materials is required. For additional information about this position and to apply, please visit https://employment.uwlax.edu/