Welcome new and continuing students! We hope your semester gets off to a great start!
What’s new at Murphy Library this semester?
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
- The physical refresh is mostly complete, with new carpets, fresh paint, better lighting, and more visible signage, throughout the library. A few areas have yet to completed, and that work will be scheduled at later dates during the year.
- Be aware that work on plumbing and electrical systems is ongoing in the basement, and there will be occasional construction noises related to that.
- Watch for work to begin in October on the 2nd floor as Room 270 is converted to the new curriculum center.
- Computers and printers are still available on all floors, with no major changes for 2017.
The reference desk is in its new location on the first floor. As you come into the library, angle toward the southeast corner (to your left as you’re entering the main part of the first floor) and you’ll see it near the end of the tall shelves of books, under the “Research Assistance” sign. Remember, in addition to visiting in person, you can use email, chat, text, or phone to ask any questions – large or small – to the reference librarians. Get more information at the Reference Services page.
New or upgraded resources include:
- Academic Search Ultimate replaces Academic Search Complete, offering a much larger base of articles and other academic resources.
- New Oxford Shakespeare Online includes the complete text of all of Shakespeare’s works with both the Modern Critical and Critical Reference Editions. Also includes an Authorship Companion, containing essays on questions of authorship and chronology.
- Nexis Uni – The LexisNexis platform has been upgraded and renamed to Nexis Uni. The new platform offers enhanced searching, more filtering options, more ways to share and save documents, and many more features.
- ProQuest Business Premium Collection replaces ABI/Inform. The new collection includes ABI/Inform and several other business information databases: J.P Morgan Research; Entrepreneurship Database; Accounting, Tax & Banking Collection; Asian & European Business Collection; and Business Market Research Collection.
- Search@UW, which searches the library catalog as well as other UW system libraries, was updated over the summer and has several new or changed features. Search@UW is the main search box on the library home page and many other library pages.
Let us know if you have questions about any of these or other resources.